A fundraising dinner at the House of Commons has raised £15,500 for a Surrey Community Development Trust (SCDT) project for vulnerable people in Spelthorne.
The dinner was hosted by Anne Milton, MP for Guildford, on 10 September, with over 130 people attending. The event was sponsored by ExxonMobil and SCDT patron The Rt Hon Baroness Bottomley was the guest speaker. The glittering turnout included the High Sheriff of Surrey, Lady Elizabeth Toulson, the High Sheriff of the Royal County of Berkshire, Dr Christina Hill Williams, the Vice Chairman of Surrey County Council, Cllr Lavinia Sealy, and five Mayors.
The event included a presentation of several awards for outstanding assistance, to organisations and individuals that have helped SCDT over the years.
Awards were given to three corporate supporters:
- Clyde & Co, the international legal practice with a key office in Guildford
- ExxonMobil, the parent company of the Esso and Mobil petrochemical operations (SCDT is Charity of the Year for 2009 for staff at the Leatherhead European Headquarters)
- Wates Group, the building and construction group also based in Leatherhead
All have a major corporate responsibility focus and we are grateful for the assistance in a wide range of ways including financial support, volunteering of staff, contributions in-kind and sponsorship.
Awards were also given to two individual supporters:
- Stella Wardell for assisting SCDT with fundraising over the years
- Elliott Franks for his professional photography services to SCDT