If you are homeless or at risk of becoming so, there is support available to help you.

HomelessnessWhere can I get advice on housing?

If you are homeless or have been threatened with homelessness, please contact your local council’s Housing Options team to get advice. They will be able to explain the accommodation options available, including housing association or local authority properties, private rented accommodation and supported housing.

The national charity Shelter gives advice on housing issues, including homelessness. Call their helpline on 0808 800 4444 or visit the Shelter website.

How do I make a homeless application?

If you're legally homeless or are going to be within the next 28 days, contact your local council’s Housing Options team and tell them you need to apply as homeless. The council will be able to help you if you're homeless or soon will be. How much help you get depends on your circumstances.

What if I become homeless at night or the weekend?

Your local council may have an out of hours phone number. You can also contact Streetlink on 0300 500 0914 or online, or call Shelter on 0808 800 4444 (8am-8pm weekdays; 8am-5pm weekends).

What accommodation is available?

Finding somewhere to rent if you are homeless can be difficult. People who are particularly vulnerable may be entitled to council housing or housing association accommodation under the homeless law.

Your local council’s Housing Options team can advise you on the full range of options that are available to you, and refer you if appropriate, including:

  • Hostel accommodation
    Direct access hostels are available across Surrey to provide short-stay accommodation for people who literally have nowhere to go for the night.
  • Specialist supported accommodation
    Housing with support for vulnerable people, including people with drug, alcohol or mental health issues.
  • Private rented accommodation
    There are several local charities who can assist people to access accommodation in the private sector.